Friday, September 18, 2009

"Train a Child in the Way He Should Go..."

My baby girl turned 10 today...in her words, "Good-bye to the days of single digits. Forever!" She's a little dramatic...it's her dad in her. I cannot believe she's 10. I thought about it a lot last night lying in bed with her, saying prayers and then just snuggling. She told me she would always be my baby girl. I told her I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to when she was 3. I can't believe it. Where did all the time go? In half the time, she'll be learning to drive a car. In another 10 years she won't even live at home anymore. Have I been a good mom? Have I done my best? Ten years gone...have I trained her up in the way she should go? Yes. I've made mistakes, plenty to be totally honest. And I know there have been days that I know I could have done better. But, this I know is true. Katie loves Jesus. She trusts him. She believes that what he says is truth. She desires to study His Word. And her fruits of the Spirit are amazing to behold! I worry about her teenage years, broken hearts, girlfriend drama, term papers and prom...but I do believe that when she is older, she will not depart from her faith! That is what I'm holding onto today. That is what is comforting me when I think about rocking her in my arms and miss her being a baby girl so much it's making me cry. God is holding her in the palm of His mighty hand; and nothing can take her out of it. Happy Birthday Katie-bug!

~J

Proverbs 22:6

11 comments:

Lisa said...

You made me cry. I remember holding her the day she was born and how tiny she was! I had simiar thoughts yesterday on E's birthday when I thought of the circumstances surrounding her birth. God is good...all the time!!And you are right about KB- she loves the Lord and everyone who knows her knows it. I love her and you.

Wendy said...

Ok, you made me cry. I am thinking the same things about Riley... He'll be 10 in February. My sentiments exactly! Love you!

Jaime said...

Ok, I'm crying too. Thanks for sharing. I understand.

Pia said...

Blessings - all of them. Happy Birthday Katie Bug (and to the daddy too!)

Janet said...

I feel guilty because I'm not crying . . . perhaps its because I'm psychotically menopausal. HOWEVER, I did get a little misty, does that count? So, I can relate . . .Our sweet Anna Pearl is DRIVING. . .DRIVING. She's DRIVING A CAR WITHOUT BARBIE PAINTED ON THE SIDE.
So many things I wish I had done differently, but then that would have been MY plan, not God's. Some of my stupid mistakes are the proof that God has everything in His control. Look, I'm a classic, garden variety, screw-up. . .with 5 fantastic children and a husband who hasn't left me yet (at least the last I checked, 40 minutes ago). This is a nice 'club' to be in . . .
AND, in a few short years, the hard part will be mostly over, and we'll have these fabulous little adults around!
Nice post.

Sabine Schoepke said...

Yep, right here, another one crying!!

Thanks for the great post!!

BTW, I love your blog and I was wondering if you were interested in posting my button on your blog. I have a blog myself at http://LotsOfLittleBlessings.blogspot.com . However, this button is for jewelry I am making and I thought it would be a great fit with your blog.
A picture of the jewelry ('Faith' Necklace) and the button code can be found at the very bottom of this page on my blog at http://lotsoflittleblessings.blogspot.com/p/my-jewelry.html
Let me know what you think and what it is that I could help you with - maybe post one of your buttons on my blog? Just let me know!!
xoxo Sabine

GAFlyGirl said...

Aww you sound like a wonderful mom! You made me really think about parenthood and what's truly important.. they grow up so fast, and there is no turning back. Yes we will make mistakes, afterall that is the whole point in the purpose of life, but as long as we try our best, repent/fix our mistakes and move on and teach our kids what's right and to Love God then we have not failed as parents.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! They have inspired me to remember what's important.. what's the key!!
God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hi...I saw your blog on the CWO site and had to stop by (I love the idea of three friends blogging together :))...I'm glad I did. You've made me want to go hug my kids...my oldest is seven and it's just unbelievable how quickly we've gotten to this point. Thanks for the reminder that all the little moments matter. Have a blessed weekend! ~Christie

Debra said...

I refuse to cry...ok I am.

Anonymous said...

shoplie

abo-bder said...


شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض


شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه بالرياض


شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض