Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Babylon on NBC

It am not so surprised, but frustrated by watching PrimeTime television tonight...my daughters and I LOVE watching The Biggest Loser! I mean we really love it! And tonight we had to contend with "...open up a can of Whoop A**", "Beat the Crap out of them", "I'm real pi**ed off" and "Hard as Hell"...and these were the words they didn't bleep out! Both my girls reacted to these with the appropriate "Whooo, mom, did you hear what they said?!?" But then I was SO shocked by what one of the trainers said to one of the contestents. Evidently, one of the contestent's parents got divorced and she was really upset talking about it. Well the 'pep talk' from the trainer went like this...(and I quote b/c I do have the TiVo)... "So, your mom and your dad are together, she falls out of love, she leaves him for another man...Your mom did the best thing she ever could have done getting out of that marriage. You know why? She wasn't happy...If she wasn't in love, then she wasn't in love...For once in her life, she put herself first. Have you ever done that?...It could be the greatest gift she'll ever give you. The truth of the matter is that you need to take care of you." So then I just had to pause it...and explain...we don't believe that...that's what the world tells us ~ we should be first, we deserve to be happy - no matter who it hurts...I asked them what God's Word says...so we really talked about it...how we are set apart, marked by Christ to be different! It's amazing to think that God has chosen us and expects us to be in this world, at this time, in these circumstances, and be obedient to His Word...How awesome is that, and how hard.

Can anybody say "Daniel".

"J"

7 comments:

Sallie said...

Amen sister friend! AMEN!

Anonymous said...

We just started Daniel today...wow, how it all ties together. IN WEEK ONE! I already see it. Sigh....so very sad.

Just Us Chix said...

So here is my question. Will you still continue to watch this show?

Phh said...

Wow! Thank you for refuting that Babylonian mentality. It makes you realize how indoctrinated we are into this "there is no one but me" culture. So often we see things like this on TV or hear others say them and don't even recognize them for what they are. Our mental alarms don't go off. I'm glad yours did. What an encouragement for Christians to take a stand!

Lisa said...

It is all over the place. Mark Dever mentioned the Sunday morning he preached that it is "going to get harder and harder to be obedient in the culture in which we live." I so agree. Also, Russ Moore said that he did not think we lived in a culture that was much different than years ago. I SO DISAGREE. Yes, I understand that human nature is the same and that peope still have the same sinful desires, etc. But what you saw on television WOULD NOT have been there even five years ago. And thousands of years ago we did not have technology that can spread a message of lies out in an instant. It is creeping in and we have to pay attention. In response, to the question about whether or not you will continue to watch that show, I have some thoughts. Obviously we have to monitor what we watch and what our kids watch. That is common sense. But the opportunity that you had w/your kids to discuss that issue would not have happened had they not seen it. And they will see it no matter how much we guard against it. I think it is so healthy for all of us (at an age-appropriate level) to have a knowledge of our culture so we can live contrary to it!!! If we don't know what we are up against, we can't stand for the opposite. So as Christiasn we need to TUNE IN, PAY ATTENTION AND BE AWARE. Maybe I should have blogged instead of leaving all this in a comment. Passion, I have a lot of it.

Sherry said...

I am and there is NONE besides ME!

and, go lisa.

Anonymous said...

Even if he does not rescue me, I WILL NOT BOW DOWN!